Tuesday, August 12, 2008

The Olympics

I love the Olympics. The amazing display of extraordinary athleticism, commitment and drive. It makes me feel so inadequate, that I haven't ever been that devoted to anything, but I still love every second of the action. This has also made me truly grateful for my DVR and very glad that I spent the extra few dollars to get one :). I don't think that there's a sport I don't like watching, and am glad for the ADD-esque coverage that they offer--it's great to get a little of everything in and keeps my attention.
I think that my favorite part of the Olympics is the togetherness of all the countries. There are so many problems in the world right now, many of which were not kept quiet even surrounding the Olympics, but nonetheless representatives from all over are in close quarters, competing against each other with remarkable respect and courtesy for one another. Arguably, there is "trash talk" amongst the teams, but when is there not in athletics?, and how refreshing is it that the petty taunting of the athletes between themselves has nothing to do with political agendas? I wish that it would be so easy for politicians and heads of state to "razz" one another but still find common ground to communicate on. Oh the dreams of an optimist :)
I absolutely appreciate the commitment of each of the athletes to their sport. I can't even begin to comprehend the daily challenges that they face. I do, however, feel terrible for the athletes that are not dubbed "golden children". For instance, the rest of the men's swim team. Michael Phelps in indeed the most amazing Olympian ever, however, he is not the only man on the team and would be incapable of swimming all the races alone. I feel like there should be more coverage on the other athletes, all 647 from the USA, and not only on a few. I do not afford the blame on Phelps, or any of the athletes. I just can't imagine being a US Olympian at these games and being in the shadow of a man. It's insane to think that there are so many athletes that I have no idea about! Each one of them are OLYMPIANS! That's a huge feat in and of itself. I suppose that there will always be a "top dog" that everyone has to compete with regardless of your accomplishments.
I hope that we continue to do well in all the sports and as an overall Team USA! Here's to the Olympians and all their accomplishments as well as those to come!

No comments: